Thursday 2 February 2012

Norway's Northern Lights

So, as much as I loved my sister's photographs of the Northern Lights in Sweden, perhaps these ones are a teensie bit more WOW! Imagine creating this sort of light effect on a bedroom ceiling, or across open fields.
It's exactly as I imagined them when I read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. Spellbinding.

Bjørn Jørgensen's sky near Tromsø 



 Bjørn Jørgensen captured the top image in the sky over Grøtfjord, North Norway.

This is what Discovery News said about the amazing skies we've been getting this year...


Jan. 23, 2012 -- Over the weekend, the Earth's magnetic field was struck by a coronal mass ejection (CME). The resulting geomagnetic storm caused a spectacular light show at higher latitudes. As the solar plasma of the CME hit our magnetosphere, the powerful global magnetic field funneled energetic particles down toward the Polar Regions. As the particles (mainly protons) impacted our atmosphere, light erupted from the collisions.

1 comment:

  1. Norway is really beautiful place. Last time I visited and I enjoyed my tour. I like to Norway and Alaska northern lights tours

    ReplyDelete